The advantage of practice management software is that it can manage a level of information far greater than you can contain in your memory and alert you to important matters in a timely fashion, allowing you to prioritize your work more effectively. However, if you use a computerized system, you should still:
- Ensure that multiple dates for each file as well as reasons for reminders are accommodated by the software you use.
- Be able to use the system for both general bring-forwards as well as limitation date reminders.
- Designate someone responsible for entering the relevant information into the system, including:
- client name;
- file number;
- reminder dates and the reason for the reminder;
- dates warning of the ultimate limitation date as well as the ultimate limitation date.
- Run reports to capture daily, weekly, and monthly reminders.
- Be certain to routinely back-up your system to avoid catastrophic loss of data.