International Applicants

International Applicants

A lawyer seeking to be called to the Bar in Saskatchewan who has obtained their legal credentials outside of Canada must:

  • Obtain the following:
    • A Canadian LLB degree or JD (Juris Doctor).
    • A Certificate of Qualification issued by the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) — this requirement applies to both students who hold law degrees from foreign law schools and foreign lawyers.
  • Apply for admission as a Student-at-law and complete the requirements for students-at-law, including the CPLED bar admissions program and articles. Please refer to the Students section for further details on these requirements.

A lawyer seeking to act as a Foreign Legal Consultant in Saskatchewan must complete and submit an Application for Permit to Act as Foreign Legal Consultant (Form A-16) pursuant to Law Society Rule 820.

NCA Certificate of Qualification

The NCA assesses legal education credentials obtained outside of Canada for individuals applying for admission to a law society in a Canadian common law jurisdiction.

For information on the NCA Certificate of Qualification or to apply for a Certificate of Qualification, please contact the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA).

It is your responsibility to arrange for completion of the NCA’s requirements. The NCA will advise whether you must complete further study at a Canadian common law school or pass certain examinations set by the NCA. If you are required to undertake further study at a Canadian university, this does not guarantee admission. You must apply to one or more Canadian universities and meet their individual entrance requirements.

Please note that the Law Society of Saskatchewan has no contact with the NCA on individual applications and will not overrule a decision of the NCA or waive the requirements for a Certificate of Qualification in lieu of a Canadian LLB or JD.